Friday 24 December 2010

Twas the Night Before Christmas

Four years ago, I spent Christmas Eve curled up on the bedroom floor in floods of tears at the thought that I might never get to fill a stocking for my child, or eat the mince pie he or she had left out for Father Christmas, or watch his or her face as s/he opened her presents.

Three years ago today, I started my first cycle of IVF.

This afternoon, I helped my daughter place the fairy on top of the tree. I saw the tears in my father's eyes as he watched his granddaughter riding the tricycle he made for her. And I remain deeply, deeply aware of just how blessed I am in those moments.

Happy Christmas to all of you who may still be reading. May 2011 bring you your hearts' desires, whatever stage of the IF journey you may be on.

7 comments:

Liz said...

Cheers Ms Heathen. And Happy Christmas to you too.

I_Sell_Books said...

Merry Christmas right back atcha!

Oro
Birch and Maple

sharon71 said...

I know exactly how you feel.

The joy on Christmas morning with my own little girl was incredible.

Glad to see that you are doing well.

mybabyquest.wordpress.com

Shinejil said...

Beautiful. Happy New Year, dear Heathens!

luna said...

it's amazing, isn't it?

so happy for you all.

happy new year!

Lisa Rullsenberg said...

A belated but no less heartfelt 'Happy New Year'! I have a wonderful vision of the joy that LIttle Miss is bringing to you all.

Secret D said...

A belated Happy New Year! It's good to get an update. I'm so glad that you finally got the Christmas that you dreamed of. Wishing you all the best in 2011.